The Reincarnated Assassin is a Genius Swordsman 1331
Chapter 1331
[A new trait, <Energy of Death>, has been created.]
“Huh…?”
Raon stared blankly, blinking as he reread the message announcing the new trait.
“Energy of Death? Why did I get a trait like this?”
Energy of Death, of all things. The more he thought about it, the less it made sense. His mind, which had only just barely cleared, seemed to grow hazy again, just as it had in the mental world.
What is it now!
Wrath lowered his gaze, his face flushing red.
Just what did you see to make such a fuss! The King of Essence was already so shocked by your rewards that most things wouldn't... Heh?
Even Wrath let out a strange gasp, clearly startled by what he had just seen.
E-Energy of Death?
Wrath swallowed dryly in disbelief.
‘Yeah.’
Raon nodded as he looked at the message for the new trait.
‘I'm not sure why either, but the Energy of Death has become one of my traits.’
Energy of Death was the aura Derus Robert had wielded. Raon couldn't understand why such a vile, even more sinister than the death energy wielded by necromancers who commanded countless corpses, had come to him.
Energy of Death... Ah!
Wrath let out an exclamation, acting as if he had figured out the reason.
The King of Essence knows why! It is because you died!
‘I died?’
Raon tilted his head, unable to understand what Wrath meant.
Do you not remember? You died so many times in your mental world that they were impossible to count!
He smacked Raon’s head hard, asking how he could have already forgotten about that.
“Ugh...”
Holding the back of his head where Wrath had struck him, Raon frowned.
‘Of course I remember. But I didn't die in reality. I only died in the mental world.’
It's true that I've experienced countless deaths, but every one of them happened inside my mental world. I still can't understand why the Energy of Death was created in reality.
Death is still death. And...
Wrath wrinkled the bridge of his nose as he stared into Raon's eyes.
You didn't let the King of Essence kill you. You kept taking your own life instead. Suicide is considered a grave sin in every world, including devildom. No wonder the King of Essence kept thinking that a damned foul stench was clinging to you!
He sighed, saying that even now, the stench of death was still seeping out from behind Raon.
‘So that's what it was.’
Pressing a hand to his temple, Raon furrowed his brow.
‘Come to think of it, there really had been an ominous energy flowing through my mental world...’
I remember the black cracks spreading through the forest within my mental world. At the time, I assumed they were caused by Wrath's overwhelming might.
I was completely mistaken.
‘That was the Energy of Death.’
Every time I took my own life, the Energy of Death that had gradually accumulated consumed the forest within my mental world.
Ugh...
Wrath let out a pained breath.
Even the King of Essence thought they were just cracks that naturally formed while fighting you.
He admitted that he had never imagined the Energy of Death had been accumulating there all along.
‘Now I understand.’
Raon let out a hollow laugh and nodded.
‘It was the Energy of Death I created.’
It seems that the Energy of Death that accumulated from repeatedly taking my own life inside the mental world hadn't been completely erased. Instead, it remained behind and ultimately followed me back into reality.
This is complete bullshit...
Wrath ground his teeth so hard they audibly creaked.
This is absolute, utter bullshit! How does this damn bastard end up getting stronger even when he falls flat on his face?!
He shouted in frustration, unable to understand why everything seemed to make Raon stronger.
‘I have no idea either.’
Raon shook his head as a strand of Energy of Death gathered above his fingertip.
“But this energy...”
He narrowed his eyes as he studied the black mist swirling around his finger.
‘It's a little different from Derus Robert's.’
Simply looking at Derus Robert's Energy of Death made it feel as though death itself was approaching.
But the Energy of Death I possess is different.
Instead of inspiring terror, it carries an inexplicably gentle... comforting sensation.
Comforting? You've completely lost your mind!
Wrath violently shook his head, telling him not to say something so absurd.
To the King of Essence, it's the exact same sinister... Huh?
He muttered that it was identical to Derus Robert's before suddenly blinking.
I-It really is?
Wrath looked at Raon's Energy of Death again, his jaw quivering.
It really does feel comforting. Just looking at it makes the King of Essence feels like drifting off to sleep...
He blinked blankly, admitting that he sensed the same thing Raon did.
N-No! That's the Energy of Death! You wouldn't be falling asleep, you'd be dying!
Wrath hurriedly leaped backward to put distance between himself and the Energy of Death, biting his lip.
It's an even more dangerous power than that damned Derus Robert's!
Wrath frowned, saying that because Raon's Energy of Death felt comforting, it was actually more dangerous than Derus Robert's.
‘More dangerous because it feels comforting...’
Raon nodded as he studied the black current swirling before him.
‘That might be true.’
An energy that gently embraced its victim before delivering death was bound to be more dangerous than one that announced its deadly nature from the very beginning.
That Energy of Death is going to become a tremendous source of strength for you.
Wrath narrowed his eyes, saying it would be a great help in the battles to come.
‘I think so too. But...’
Raon clenched his fist, extinguishing the Energy of Death burning in his palm.
'Right now, I'd rather focus on the strength I've earned for myself than on this kind of external power.'
He had spent longer in his mental world than ever before, so he still didn't feel fully accustomed to his physical body in reality. More than the abilities he had gained as rewards, he wanted to focus on everything he had gained by overcoming death itself, so he dismissed all of the system messages.
Hmph!
Wrath snorted as he looked at Raon.
You do occasionally say something the King of Essence likes to hear.
‘Then...’
Raon grabbed Heavenly Drive and Wooden Ring Sword from where they rested beside his bed and slowly rose to his feet. Perhaps because he had spent so long inside his mental world, merely standing up made his arms and legs tingle.
‘Was I asleep longer than I thought?’
Looking at his trembling hand, Raon let out a sigh.
‘My body is one thing, but I can't even tell how far I've progressed.’
He had no idea how long he had spent in the mental world for it to leave him with such a strange sensation.
The King of Essence does not know either. Since he entered the mental world along with you.
‘I should head outside first...’
Just as he was about to stretch and loosen his stiff body—
“Raon!”
Blue light burst across the white ceiling, and Evelyn sprang out.
“Why have you been asleep for so long?!”
With a cry that was almost a scream, Evelyn threw herself into his arms.
“You! You've been asleep for an entire month!”
She wailed, complaining that he had kept a lady waiting for far too long.
“A-a month?”
As Raon blinked at the mention of a month, the door swung open, and Sylvia and Sia entered together.
“It's Raon! Raon's awake!”
Sia beamed as she practically flew onto the bed.
“R-Raon! You're not hurt anywhere, are you?”
More than anything else, Sylvia worried about his condition first, placing a hand over her chest.
“I was so worried because you slept for so long. If it hadn't been for father, I would've found some way to wake you...”
She let out a deep sigh, saying that she had spent the past month worrying because he simply wouldn't wake up.
“Grandfather...”
Thinking of Glenn, Raon narrowed his eyes. It seemed Glenn had known exactly what condition he had been in.
“Raon...”
“Palace master!”
“You idiot! What took you so long to wake up?!”
Runan, Burren, and Martha, who had perhaps been waiting alongside his family, came rushing in as if they were flying.
“Sorry...”
Looking at the three of them, Raon lowered his eyebrows slightly. Thinking about how he had left the Light Wind Palace unattended for an entire month, he had nothing to say.
“It's all right. We managed things well enough on our own.”
Burren waved his hand calmly, telling him not to worry.
“Well, it wasn't as hellish as that damned training of yours, but we kept everyone working hard.”
The corner of Martha's lips curled upward, as though she had enjoyed training together with the Light Wind swordsmen.
“Raon...”
Runaan held onto his hand without letting go, seemingly more concerned about his condition than anything else.
“Thank you.”
After thanking the three of them, Raon looked up just as the door opened once more and Glenn entered.
“You lost many things, but you have also learned many things.”
Glenn nodded calmly, as if he knew exactly what Raon had been doing in his mental world.
“Congratulations.”
Wearing a proud smile, he placed a hand on Raon's shoulder.
“On reaching the true Absolute realm.”
* * *
Raon followed Glenn, after reassuring everyone that he hadn't been injured and had merely been training.
Glenn stopped in the clearing at the entrance of North Grave Mountain, where they used to converse or spar, and turned around.
“You have the look of someone with many questions.”
A gentle smile spread across Glenn's face, as though he could read every thought in Raon's mind. Strangely enough, despite having looked noticeably older before, there was now a hint of vitality in his face, making him seem slightly younger again.
“Yes...”
Raon nodded as he stepped closer to Glenn.
“I don't really understand what you meant by saying I'd reached the true Absolute realm.”
He hadn't felt any dramatic change after leaving the mental world. In fact, he had simply been relieved that he hadn't grown weaker. Because of that, neither Wrath's claim that he had become stronger than before nor Glenn's assertion that he had reached the true Absolute realm made any sense to him.
“The Absolute realm is unlike any other realm.”
Glenn slowly raised his index finger, so slowly that it almost seemed deliberate.
“Unlike the other realms, the Absolute realm is hazy, like a dream. It's as though you're walking through a road shrouded in fog, you can scarcely tell where you are or where you're headed.”
He nodded solemnly, saying he knew this well because he had already walked that path himself.
“Certainly...”
Raon bit his lip slightly as he listened to Glenn's words.
“It's difficult for me to tell exactly how much stronger I've become.”
He had already felt that he had surpassed Transcendence long ago, yet unlike back then, he now couldn't accurately gauge just how much stronger he had become.
“That's because you're trapped within the fog of martial arts.”
Opening his hand, Glenn conjured a red mist.
“If you were trapped inside a fog like this, you wouldn't know which way was forward, or even where you yourself were standing.”
He smiled faintly as the dense mist spread until it completely obscured his face.
“The realm of the Absolute is the same. While trapped within the fog of martial arts, it's impossible to tell whether you're regressing or climbing higher. In reality, your realm suddenly plummet like a waterfall, or soar upward like a divine dragon.”
Glenn lowered his hand, saying it hadn't been that long since he himself had realized this.
“However, once you break through that, it's like standing atop a mountain so high that even the clouds cannot reach it. Everything becomes perfectly clear. You no longer perceive only yourself, you begin to perceive the world itself. I, too...”
He raised his wrinkled hand to his chest.
“Through my secluded training, I was able to break free from the fog of martial arts. That is why I became certain that I would never be defeated.”
He nodded, saying that this realization had given him absolute confidence that he would never lose to the Heavenly Demon.
“I see...”
Looking at his own hand, Raon slowly tightened it into a fist.
The fog of martial arts, huh.’
He hadn't felt any stronger after leaving the mental world, but now he finally understood why.
“There is, however, one way to part the fog for a moment and see your own might.”
Glenn smacked his lips, saying there was only a single way.
“What is it?”
Raon looked at him with widened eyes.
“Spar with a warrior who has already broken free of the fog of martial arts.”
With a faint smile, Glenn extended his hand.
“Come.”
He rested a hand on Heavenly Tremor, looking as though the timing couldn't have been better.
“I shall become the guidepost that lets you see yourself.”
* * *
“Lately, the head of house has been spending more time at the annex building than in the main building.”
Leaning against a pillar, Sheryl let out a bored yawn.
“He's just that worried about Sir Raon.”
Roenn laughed warmly, saying he could understand Glenn perfectly.
“Well, if I had a grandson like Raon, I'd probably want him by my side every day too.”
Sheryl curled her red lips into a smile, as though the mere thought pleased her.
“Don't you already treat him like your own grandson?”
Roenn smiled faintly, saying it was obvious how much Sheryl cared for Raon.
“I do, but it's a little different. More than a grandson... I'd say he's more like the disciple I ended up taking because of that fool.”
Sheryl let out a sigh, her eyes turning distant as though she were remembering someone.
“...”
As if he understood exactly how she felt, Roenn said nothing and quietly continued tidying the audience chamber.
“Anyway, I just hope nothing happens.”
Sheryl gave a slightly strained smile and waved her hand.
Rumble!
At that moment, the audience chamber's hidden door opened, and Karoon emerged from the dark stairway with white currents swirling around his feet.
“Palace master?”
“Huhuhu. It seems your training has finally ended.”
Knowing that Karoon had remained within the first head of house's training ground, Sheryl and Roenn immediately approached to greet him.
“Yes. It's over.”
Karoon nodded slowly. The man who was always impeccably groomed now had a beard covering his chin, his training clothes had been torn to rags, and his entire body was covered in wounds. Rather than someone who had finished training, he looked like someone who had just survived a fight to the death.
Yet Karoon's red eyes shone more vividly and nobly than ever before, like crystals encasing a blazing flame.
“Hmm...”
Feeling an indescribable, tranquil presence emanating from him, Sheryl shivered and swallowed dryly.
“Huhuhu. Have you perhaps achieved some great enlightenment?”
Even Roenn frowned deeply, goosebumps rising on his skin as he sensed the change in Karooon's presence.
“I did not achieve enlightenment.”
Karoon looked down at the sword hanging at his waist, the only thing about him that remained intact. Nodding slowly, his eyes sharpened like a blade, as though he were thinking of someone.
“But I gained a sword.”
“A sword that can cut through absolutely anything.”
Advance Chapters
Comments
Post a Comment